February 22: After nine months, Friday Roundup returns.
“Every separation is a link.” — Simone Weil
- A dictionary of despicable words : Arguably a fine Flaubertian list of des mot injustes
- Bookstores as showrooms : Should there be a cover charge?
- Excising adverbs : How good an idea is this classic advice for writers?
- Bring back the illustrated book : Picture that
- Sadakichi Hartmann dancing : The King of Bohemia is my current research project
- Atlas Blaeu-Van der Hem : 17th-century cartographic prints suitable for the next edition of 1616
- The boredom of boozeless business : Does drinking at work make you more creative?
- Ulysses in pie chart form : From those cut-ups at Publishers Weekly
- Giclee prints : They’re art if I say so
- Shooting range : Add this to places not to store your your ammo
“Write in recollection and amazement for yourself.” — Jack Kerouac
(resurrecting a few old posts, because it’s been so long)
- A glossary of book publishing terms : What your publisher is really saying
- Some helpful books about writing : Any we missed?
- How to get a book published : The Old School method
- The plight of independent book publishing : About the toughest business there is
- Gutenburg and the Koreans : Did Europeans reverse engineer Asian printing technology?
- Motoring Amalfi : Such fun