Who has been editing Wikipedia?
The new ability created by Wikipedia Scanner to track Wikipedia edits by IP address has brought some folks hours of entertainment. Where have the collaborative encyclopedia’s edits been coming from?
- Fox News. You will be shocked — shocked! — to learn that they have been spinning items in a conservative direction.
- Diebold, the electronic voting machine vendor. Those rascals deleted 15 paragraphs critical of their machines.
- Walmart. It seems their employee compensation is better than some might think (same link as above)
- Mittromney.com. Someone there is leaning “a little more toward voting FOR Mitt Romney.”
- The BBC. Someone there thinks GWBush is a wanker.
- Whereas at the New York Times they just think he’s a “jerk.”
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse. Someone there prefered one of their press releases to the existing wikipedia article.
- Susan Collins. Someone in the senator’s office thought her entry didn’t make her sound moderate enough.
- Not to mention still more Republican hijinks, from the Republican Party of Minnesota. People there don’t like Harry Potter but they do like “penis gourds.”
- The CIA. Iran is on someone’s mind there.
- The Vatican. Someone there is interested in Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams.
- And let’s not forget the Democratic National Committee, where someone felt that Rush Limbaught’s entry should not omit the highly pertinent observation that “Most of [his listeners] are legally retarded.“
No doubt more revelations will be forthcoming.
Update, 32 Aug. The Dutch royal family admits scrubbing an entry.
You didn’t think you had any privacy online, did you?
(The wikipedia scanner link, at this writing, is down .)