According to a story in the Independent, authors’ income has fallen in recent years. In the UK the top 10 percent of authors take home more than half the pay. Take away that ten percent and the remaining 90 percent have an average annual income of just Â£4,000 (about US $7,715).
From the story: “The best advice if you want to eat is: ‘Do something else.'”